The GP Study System is a resource designed to stimulate learning across the domains, populations, presentations and processes within Australian General Practice. It can be used for individual or small group learning, in conjunction with a study plan, and as a prompt for in-practice teaching.
The GPS system is available as a boxed set of 90 Topic Cards, Education cards and Learning Tools, or a web-based version accompanied by linked resources. You can also access it via the new GP Study System Course where the topics and resources are arranged in a 24 week, RACGP curriculum-based study plan.
The GP Study System is endorsed by GP Supervisors Australia (GPSA). Their FAQ document: Teaching technologies and the GP Study System provides a useful insight into it’s design.
So, choose a topic, review the focus areas, try a suggested activity, and explore a learning tool – The GP Study System will assist you to navigate to your knowledge destination.
*For group subscriptions or orders, please contact us directly as discounts may apply.
THE GPS SYSTEM
The GPS System was developed by:
- Incorporating a detailed analysis of the RACGP Curriculum and BEACH Data;
- Acknowledgement and inclusion of the variety of ways in which doctors learn, and the way in which their learning can be supported.
- Recognition of the importance of a plan for learning with clear objectives;
- Reflecting on 20 years of personal experience working in Australian General Practice, and over 15 years working in undergraduate and postgraduate General Practice education;
- Considering extensive knowledge, published research, and experience working with doctors having difficulty progressing through their medical careers.
The GPS System is made up of:
- 30 Education Cards
- 20 Learning Tools
Each Education Card includes:
- Key areas to focus on;
- An education activity from each domain of practice;
- A learning tool
- A description of the tool
- An step-wise approach to using the tool.
The GPS System works best with a well-developed plan for learning – the MAP App can assist with that! You can use the GPS System by yourself, with a group of colleagues, or with a supervisor or mentor.
- Choose a topic;
- Choose a focus area;
- Try a suggested activity;
- Explore a learning tool.
Reflect on your learning and how it fits in with your plan!
The GPS System is available in two formats:
- Web-based access via subscription.
- A box set of cards available on by order.
COMING SOON! The GP Study System as a weekly course.
- The web-based version contains hyperlinked curriculum, clinical and medical education resources. It is formatted for desktop, tablet and mobile viewing.
- The box set is great for ‘tea-room teaching’ and small group learning.